Monday, July 11, 2011

Dog Sense

Three short years ago, Marcus and I made a big step in our relationship and got a dog. 
We named her Kona :) She has been an all around wonderful dog. She only managed to chew up my reading glasses once and track garbage and blood all throughout our old townhome after cutting her tongue on a can. I can honestly say, we are very fortunate to have such a "laidback" and calm dog. She rarely barks or growls at others and is easily pleased. Her current favorite past time is running around in the backyard chasing squirrels and birds, and "going to the tree." (That is a bit of an inside joke ;) 

For the past couple years, she has always been "Marcus' dog". She would follow him around wherever he went and listened to whatever he said. As for me, she liked my company, but not to the same extent as Marcus' company. 
In the past 8 months, all of that has changed. I have quickly become Kona's master, so to speak, and her demeanor towards Marcus has changed quite drastically. Yes, she still listens to him and enjoys roughhousing with him when the opportunity presents itself, but her dedication, should we say, has changed a bit. She follows me everywhere I go, and this is not an exaggeration. She will follow me outside, into the kitchen, to the nursery, and even into the bathroom. I have absolutely no privacy when she's around (which is all the time). One recent discovery was the basement. Marcus and I recently noticed that before, Kona would not go into the basement. She absolutely despises that room and is very stubborn when it comes to either one of us going down there. In the past 4 months or so, she will not follow Marcus down there. He leaves the door open for her and what does she do? She will walk all over the house until she finds me, and when she does, she plops down right next to me - all the while, Marcus is calling her name and whistling for her to go downstairs. Now, when I go downstairs, she is on my heels. I find this very interesting just by knowing her hatred for the basement. It doesn't matter if Marcus and I are both down there or not, she will follow me, but not him. 
I read up a bit on dogs behavior when their owner is pregnant and there were lots of discussion boards on how animals were acting very strangely. Kdawg's behavior is strange, yes, but I know it is purely out of protection for me. It will be interesting to see how she acts the closer my due date comes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment