Sunday, October 2, 2011

A new look...

As you can see, the blog has a new face. October is ALSO "Breast Cancer Awareness Month" and naturally, I saw fit to honor the occasion on the blog.
For most everyone I know, the word "cancer" has some awful memories and thoughts attached to it. Myself included. It's one of those negatives in life that can often overtake the positives. Just the mere thought of being told you have cancer is enough to knot up your stomach and cause your mind to stray to the unthinkable. Believe me, it's not something that you expect to hear - and are at ease with. Cancer sneaks up on a person... It's one of those diseases that has been around for a long while. It will continue to be around and we will continue to hear the word many times throughout our lives. We are fortunate to be living in an era where medicine is of greater value to the disease. Sure, there isn't a cure - yet - but if caught early enough and with a little hope, faith, love, and prayers, cancer can be a wonderful afterthought.

Over time, I have learned to look at the word "cancer" in a new light, thanks to some dear family members of mine. A few years ago when I heard my grandma had breast cancer, my mind strayed to all of the negatives. It took reading a courageous email from her to make me realize that there are positives that can come from having cancer. My grandma and aunt are LIVING proof :) They are perfect examples of brave, determined women who have battled breast cancer and won! They never faltered or gave up; they believed and trusted the man upstairs to take care of them, they prayed for strength, they kept their faith and hope and in turn were given no more than they could handle. They are more than deserving of the title "survivor." This is also the case for every other woman, man, and child out there who has looked cancer straight in the face and won - as well as those whose outcome was less. You are all people whom I hold deep admiration for.

So, in honor of breast cancer awareness month, I am going to wear my pink bracelet for the remaining days of October. I am also going to make it a point to tell the people I care about that I love them and cherish the good times with family and friends. I am going to become more aware of ways I can try and prevent bc and better my health.
Here are some websites with lots of great information about breast cancer...
http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/
Susan G Komen

I also wanted to upload this video of Martina McBride's new song... it is perfect for this post and month and hopefully it will make people realize the importance of family, friends, and support through tough times.

2 comments:

  1. Great post!! And I love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE everything about this blog :) I am wearing my anklet that aunt Kim gave each of us! :)

    ReplyDelete