Monday, February 7, 2011

Maturity

Mature: fully developed in body or mind, as a person.

I believe that Marcus and myself have matured. Now, I am not just speaking of the maturing that is defined above, but in a multitude of ways. He has matured in his own way, and I have matured in my own way... yet, we have matured together as a couple, too. When I first met Marcus, he didn't care much about work or school. He went to classes and work and came home in the same fashion. He spent his money however he wanted to as well. Presently, Marcus is early for work, stays late, and doesn't mind. In fact, he actually enjoys his job and helping customers out. Marcus' hours are so scattered, that I never know when I'm going to see him. That is one downfall of his job, but we deal. He can usually get a weekend off when he needs it and they are great to try and work with his schedule if need be. I have seen Marcus grow and mature into a generous and caring guy. He is so ecstatic about being a father that every time the baby comes up, he can't wipe his permanent smile off his face. He makes me more at ease about becoming a parent, and for that, I thank him. Before we got married, we spoke with our pastor at our house. He asked each of us what qualities we like best about each other. I remember one of my responses was that "Marcus makes me comfortable to be who I am." That is still the case, 8 months later. I don't have to act around him. I can be myself and he is happy with that :)

As for myself, I feel my job and our move 8 hours away from my family has really helped me with maturing. I don't have family around whenever I need them. Yes, they are a phone call away, but it's not the same. The only person I have right here with me is Marcus. I find with recent issues that come up, where I used to go to my family right away, I now talk to Marcus before calling my dad up on the phone. My dad is a connoisseur of giving advice and never fails with the right answer. However, Marcus has his share of compelling advice as well and I feel that I need to give him credit where credit is due! Every decision that needs to be made, is now made by the BOTH of us... that is what marriage is about - a team :)
My job has made me realize that the "little things in life" are really the big things. I am so fortunate to have the life I have and I know that I forget often how blessed I really am. There are times when I will call my mom on the phone and just say "Thank You." She doesn't need to ask anymore because she knows that I was brought into a situation where I can easily see how lucky I am, compared to some of my students. My family has asked me if we are going to move home, and my response to them is... "I don't see it happening anytime soon." Like I previously said, my job is amazing and is what contributes to Marcus and I sticking around here for some time - sorry guys :(

In conclusion, our life is a splendid one down here in Omaha! (So come visit :) I am happy to report that Marcus and I are doing very well and are so happy together. We were told after the wedding that we were the "real thing" and that this move to Nebraska was going to be the best thing for us. I would like to say "Thank You" to my aunt Beth for those words, and boy, was she right! We have definitely grown as a couple and are in a good place in our lives.
I will leave you with a picture taken in October from one of our trips to the zoo.  XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Marcus = Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I love about you two ...
    Marcus - you're my brother, I have to love you!! BUT you are very kind and you would take the shirt off your back for anybody (this is a way that you are like Roger, but this is a good thing so don't be mangry that I said it). Sometimes you are a big-time brat to me but I deal. I really miss when you and I would drive around in the Sundance and honk at people and listen to my AM radio. I hate talking to you on the phone most of the time, but sometimes you give very good advice and I enjoy those conversations with you. I miss having you around Fargo because I really liked shooting the shit with you at your house somedays. All in all, you're a good guy and I love ya!

    Dani - luckily, I have been blessed to have two perfect SILS in my life and guess what?? You're one of them. I remember the first time I met you (I was the first of my family members to meet you and I approved right away). I remember Marcus calling me and talking to me about you and how cool you were and I just HAD to meet you!! Our family is super blessed to have you around. You have a heart of gold but you're not afraid to tell it like it is and that's the best part! I love that I now have a sister that I can call about anything, like literally, everything. You give awesome advice because you've pretty much seen it all! Thank you for going after my brother and joining our crazy family! I love you!

    Both of you - you guys are PERFECT together. I love listening to you bitch at each other because it makes sense that not all couples are going to be peachy keen all the time and you guys make that well aware. I think that you guys have meshed very well from the start and I am very glad that you guys moved far away so that you could learn more about yourselves but also about each other and you have been able to grow in that sense! Although I do miss you guys often, it's reassuring to know that you guys are just a 6-hour drive away!!

    Love love love you both and I cannot wait to have a third little nugget running around here soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there was a way to "Like" this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Marcus were made for each other! You both have your own personalities that jive so well together! You have adjusted so well with the married life and moving to Omaha! Now, you are going to take the next step in your lives and will make wonderful parents! Im sure there will be times when you want to pull your hair out, but the two of you will work together as a team and will make it through all obstacles or challenges that arise just like you have so far! When I see you guys together, i can see the love you have for each other and that is such a great thing! And when that little one comes, he/she will be loved unconditionally and be blessed to have great parents! And you two will show him/her a great example of what love is just like our parents have for us! It is awesome to know that my sister is happy and has a great guy to care for her! And I am so happy Marcus has joined our family! I love you both..and Kona and Baby too! :)

    ReplyDelete