Bittersweet - I'm sure everyone has their definition of this term. Marcus coins the term as a "short-lived victory." Mine is "in a given situation, you have a taste of bitterness along with a taste of sweetness." The reason I'm bringing up definitions... my bittersweet ending to my work day. We have a policy where students will be exited from our program after a certain # of consecutive unexcused absences. I have had a student who, from the first day I met him I knew he was going to be my "challenge." Now, I love a good challenge and will welcome one with open arms, but this one was a little different. This particular student had a rough history/background and I believe all he needed was a little TLC and extra attention. One had to know in which situations they could give extra attention to, which was the difficult part. He was hard to read in some instances, and easy to read in others. All in all, a honest to goodness kid who needed someone to watch his back.
He has had a large amount of unexcused absences so he can be exited out of the program. I spoke with mom today and it was a bittersweet conversation. She let me know what he was doing now and what the remainder of his year looked like. I am happy to report that he is on the right track to achieving his GED and is getting the assistance he needs and deserves. You all are probably wondering why this situation is so bittersweet. For one, I was ready for the challenges he gave me and wanted to help in every way possible. In some ways, I feel I failed him as one of my students and I have found myself wondering "what else could I have done for him? Maybe if I would have done _______, or I should have tried ______." Don't get me wrong, I am happy he is on the right track and is doing something great for him, because he does deserve it! Yet, on the other hand, I wonder "What if?" I guess I need to realize that one can only do so much. I have to remember that I gave it my all with him and it just wasn't what he needed right now.
I can't help but brag a bit about his mother's compliments. She thanked me for always being there for her son and told me he has asked about me a couple times. It is something as little as those words that make me feel as if I've made one difference in this child's life... even if it is a minor difference. "What's in a number?!" :)
In conclusion, the bitter part of the situation was accepting the fact that he will no longer be my student, and I will no longer be able to challenge him, or myself. The sweet part of the situation is that he is happy and content with where he is at right now. He deserves and best and I wish that for him and his family :)
I agree with your definition of bittersweet-Is this the student that has been a challenge from Day 1? The one that didn't want to go from the start? Either way-You are a wonderful person and from day one have given everything that you have to those students and helped them in every single way possible. Sorry however tho that in this situation the out come was what it was-but it sounds like he is still on a great track :D
ReplyDeleteIt is a bittersweet situation but you made a difference in his life! He might not be on that right track if it wasn't for you challenging him and pushing him to do better! You are a wonderful teacher and are so good at what you do! The students love you and you have touched every one of them! :)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have just an awesome and rewarding job!! :) So happy for you!
ReplyDelete