Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Promise

I have finished "Night" and am left speechless. Although rather short, there is so much depth, and it leaves me with the following thoughts:
           * I can't get over the brutal truth of what Weisel went through as such a young boy. I think about myself in my teen years and all of the "struggles" I had. I thought they were the end of the world, but are absolutely NOTHING compared to what his family struggled through.
          * I have such an ache in my chest for him as he described the changes he went through every day. I couldn't imagine standing back and watching SS guards torture my family members. I can't completely put myself in his shoes, as I am so fortunate to have the life I do and have never had to endure anything that compares to him, but to say I admire him is definitely an understatement. I could hear him replying back to me that he is no hero - but I, along with many others I'm sure, beg to differ.
          * I can't say I regret my childhood - because I had a pretty good one. I can't go back and change anything about my teen years in order to make up for Weisel's anguish, but I can do something for my future, as well as my children's future. I am going to make a promise right now to myself that I will:
Look at the positive in every situation
Complain less
Show my feelings to loved ones more often
Think before I speak
Love with all that I have
Try my best - no matter what I'm doing
Laugh until it hurts
Smile more
Dream BIG

I challenge you (my readers:) to make a promise to yourself of things you are going to work on. I am going to really make an attempt to remember these every day... every moment I feel that I can't do something... every moment I start complaining... every moment I think I am at the end of my rope... every moment I want to just break down and cry... I am going to remember the promise I made to myself today. (I hope you do too ;)

5 comments:

  1. This is funny because I was JUST going to write a blog about this exact same thing ... minus the whole "Night" topic but I was going to write pretty much the same goals that you have!! Crazy - SILS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to find this book at the library-they were all out-so its on hold-should get it soon-pretty excited to read it-it may sound crude-but I do enjoy reading those types of book-mainly because it is history and it is interesting to read about it-its hard to imagine life back then. they very much so spark my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I LOVE YOUR PROMISES!!! :D Inspires me to think of some of my own!! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry last post-have you looked into any of his other books-he writes novels a lot about the holocaust etc... might consider looking into dawn and day-which are his first 2 novels he wrote after night..

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a fun new background :)

    ReplyDelete