Saturday, July 23, 2011

*Show Me The Way*

If you are not familiar with the song, "Show Me the Way" by Styx, then you - by all means - should become familiar with it :)
To be completely honest, I never knew Styx existed until I met Marcus. It is true that we have a wide range of similar musical interests, but he was exposed to a different variety of music that I was not exposed to as a child - with Styx being one.
Back to my point... the lyrics to this song hold special meaning for me and I think our society today, which I find ironic because this song was written in 1990. Dennis DeYoung wrote this song for his son and the struggle to keep faith in a world filled with hatred. I find myself scanning the lyrics over and over again to gain even more meaning than I already have. The words are so powerful and I find myself looking back on my own faith through the years.
It's true for me that I have always had faith in the man upstairs and have always been comfortable with where I am in my faith. I will admit that I do not say my prayers every night as I once did when I was a young child. Reading that last sentence over makes me feel quite ashamed. Why is it that I can remember to take time out of my day to take Kona on a walk or call up a friend and talk for an hour, but it's difficult for me to remember to pray every night and thank God for all of the blessings I have? Why is it that when I am in trouble or I get bad news about a family member, the first person I turn to is God, but I can't remember to take 5 seconds out of my day to just say "Thank You." I think it ultimately comes down to making an effort and being conscious about them. I need to prioritize the important things in my daily life and take the time to just say "thanks."
We may not always believe that God is looking out for our best interest, but I think it's important to remember that he has a purpose for what he does. It may not seem like the best option for us right now, but somewhere, hidden underneath all of the pain, there is an answer and explanation for his decision. Is that answer always given to us right away? No. Is that answer something we can see? Of course not. The answer is overshadowed by the pain that we are feeling when something negative is brought into our lives that the positive is almost impossible to see right away. I'd like to think that is God's way of giving us a stronger backbone and making us understand pain in order to know the difference between pain and joy. Because ultimately, the joy overcomes the pain, right?
I hope that I did not offend anyone with the "faith" topic, as I know it is a bit of a touchy one for some. These are just merely my thoughts and ways of coping with things in everyday life. I, for one, will remember to say my prayers tonight and will definitely be making a conscious effort to continue it as time passes - and as my family grows.

For you readers, take a few minutes to listen to the Styx song here. It gives me a  sense relaxation and calms me and I hope it does the same for you :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Danielle...I like your post...it's very true for me, too. While I remember most nights to pray with Clarence and by myself, I don't take enough time to read my Bible daily, and I want to make a more conscious effort to do that. I also want to make a better effort to pray with my husband...we used to pray together every night, but somewhere in the mix of work and late nights, that was dropped. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete