Wednesday, January 23, 2013

DD = dreaded diagnosis

I have trouble even saying this, but today, it was determined or decided (whichever sounds less harsh) that Easton has asthma. I shudder when even saying the word. I kind of knew it may be coming, with last fall E having some respiratory troubles and then having to do a steroid treatment for 3 months at his 15 month appointment. His doctor basically told me he was "borderline" asthmatic. I didn't want to believe that, so I just pretended she never mentioned it, hoping it wouldn't come back up. Then, just a few days ago, Easton started getting a runny nose, which eventually turned in to wheeziness, and then a cough came along. The nurse actually thought he may have croup, but when I brought him in today, they took a listen and were contemplating another chest x-ray. After nebulizer treatments of strong antibiotics, she determined that he does in fact have asthma and his trigger for flare ups is ANYTHING viral. Whenever he gets the common cold, or even a runny nose, we have to be prepared that he will have, in lamens terms, an "asthma attack" or very bad wheeziness, which will scare us every time, but we just need to wait it through with stronger nebulizer medicines. I was in denial earlier because I look at my little boy and see no imperfections. To me, he is absolutely the most perfect little man that I could have ever hoped for. After some tears and a "come to Jesus" meeting with myself, I concluded that asthma is the LEAST of my/our worries. Life could be SO much worse for Easton and our family, and if asthma is the worst thing we have to worry about, then we are in good shape. It was difficult to turn that negative in to a positive, but really, I have no other choice. I can't change the fact that he has asthma, all I can do is hope that he will be in the percentage that grows out of it. AND, who knows.. maybe he will, but if he doesn't, we will manage and be okay :)
I don't have much else to say about the topic, as I am still grasping it, but I just needed to write it out - which I hope will help :)
Easton at the doctor, yet again

1 comment:

  1. Sister, everything will be JUST fine for your family & for Easton! You're right, it could be a lot worse than it is. Keep looking at it as that, he could have a life-threatening illness, and the asthma surely will not get the little man down! He is a ball of energy, and a complete sweetheart. Try to see it as "everything happens for a reason."

    There's the possibility that Easton will grow out of the asthma, but if he doesn't, he'll just have to have his inhaler. He'll still do great things with his life. If he can't play sports because of his asthma, then he'll find another hobby - maybe music? ;)

    Just be positive. Look on the bright side. And kiss those cheeks for me <3

    ReplyDelete