Saturday, April 23, 2011

Saturday Adventure

Because Marcus is working, I have today to do whatever I please... SO I chose to spend my day going to the movie theater to see "Water for Elephants" (being I finished the book in 2 days :) and then hitting up Barnes & Noble to check out a new book. The movie was very good btw, and was surprisingly very similar to the book. In my opinion, books are always better - I think it's because I have to use my imagination to get a picture of the atmosphere and events going on. I find myself diving into a good book and creating a mental image of the characters and their surroundings. In a movie, all of that is already done for you.
I had such a hard time finding a new book, hence my two hour adventure in B&N. I scoured the fiction shelves and did not find anything  enticing for me, so I wandered over to the nonfiction section. I have been interested in history lately, and I think my diversity class I'm teaching has something to do with that. I have found myself scanning different websites to gather information on the Underground Railroad and Abraham Lincoln. (I think I'm more intrigued than my students... ;) I came across a book based off of the conspiracy of Abraham Lincoln's death, but couldn't bring myself to pick it up, as I have done quite a bit of research on Mary Surratt and am dragging Marcus to see the movie "The Conspirators" tomorrow. I watched the history channel not too long ago and it was an hour long documentary on Abraham Lincoln and his assassins. I also felt I couldn't read such a long book in one day before seeing the movie, so I chose to work my way through the history shelves. I came across the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel. This book is a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize and I can only be excited about the feeling I get when I think about the depth of this book. Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home to Auschwitz concentration camp. This book is his memory of his journey through an awful time in history and I can't imagine that I would be anything short of amazed.

I was also inspired by my friend's blog. She had a post about the book "The 5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. I had been informed about this book last summer and just never picked it up and took a look at what it had to offer. Ultimately, it speaks about the different languages of love. You have to figure out what your language is as well as your spouse, significant other, etc. Once you do that, you can better understand that person and what they need to feel loved. The 5 love languages are: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. Marcus and I have been married close to 1 year, and while this past year has been a welcomed learning experience that I honestly cannot complain about or wish to trade in, for that matter... I can't help but be intrigued as to what I can change to make him feel more loved, more often. I am excited about the journey this book will take me on to really reflect on myself as a wife and I can only see positive results! I will be sure to keep everyone informed of my divulgence into both of these books... off to read :)

10 comments:

  1. I read "Night" for my adolescent reading and language class. It was great!
    I also just got done reading "Heaven is for Real". It's a super easy read, but I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at "Heaven is for Real" too and had a hard time deciding! That will have to be my next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you finally read Water For Elephants and the movie was good-I think I am going next wkend.. I'm being cool right now and reading the Harry Potter books-haha...

    let me know what you think of "5 languages of Love" :D It does miracles.. I tell you

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry 'the 5 love languages' haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is kind of funny ... actually it's not - it's just kind of coincidental but I read Night in high school and it's sad (of course) but I remember enjoying it. But "The 5 Love Languages" is a book that one of my professors talks about all the time and we had to take a test about it ... haha so coincidental!! I want to see Water for Elephants and I also cannot wait for you to get here (or me to come visit you guys) so that we can see Something Borrowed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Night in high school and I enjoyed reading it, but it was sad! You have probably already finished the book by now so I hope you enjoyed it and if you haven't finished it quite yet I hope you do enjoy it! :) I miss you a lot on this Easter day! Happy Easter! I love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5 Love Languages=awesome book!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! I hope this inspiration came from me!! haha, or else we're just telepathic. Excited to see what you think! Also-I read Water for Elephants in a day as well!!! So good :)

    I am in a book club, so if you ever want some recommendations I can send them over, and I would love hearing yours!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The inspiration did come from you :) So thank you!!!
    Have you read Night?? It is really good so far! Very sad, but it's nonfiction.
    I would love any recommendations you have for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well-Heaven is for Real was my weekend read, and it was fabulous. Britt is right-super easy read, but sometimes that's all you need!! Really super sweet book.

    On a different note-the "Hunger Games" series (guilty pleasure!!!!) Twilight-esque but with a different storyline. I read all three in the series in a week!!

    ReplyDelete